Automotive Service Marketing Is All About Beating Your Competition
If automotive service marketing is all about beating your competition, you must first ask this question – What Are We Competing For?
If the purpose of your automotive service marketing direct mail is to increase your profits, (and that is the only purpose for automotive service marketing) then the answer to this question is quite simple. You are competing for The Fine Car High Income Customer. Why?
Because they are the only customers who have the money - to say yes – when you are making your “Services Needed” presentation. AKA the up-sale.
However 80% to 90% of all automotive service marketing falls into the category of “Cheap, Fast and Easy” automotive service marketing direct mail.
What is Cheap, Fast and Easy automotive service marketing direct mail?
1) You call the automotive service marketing company.
2) They throw a photo of your shop, a car, several more stock photos on a postcard.
3) They add a snappy headline like “Car Problems?” “Need Auto Service?” or “Car Troubles?”. Compelling!?
4) Then they slather it with 4 to 8 cheap coupon offers (that you will be paying for).
5) They print it quick and saturate some carrier routes with it. (Which is a mediocre method of income targeting).
6) All you have to do now is wait for the low income (oil change only) customers to bring in the coupons. And hope you get a few high income customers in the mix.